Swannington airfield, set in the old parkland of Haveringland Hall, was home to Mosquito and Spitfire squadrons during World War Two. Although now mostly ploughed up, portions of runway and some buildings remain.
Built in 1942, RAF Swannington was opened in April 1944, being developed from Haveringland Hall estate. It was sold in 1957, although the Royal Air Force left in November 1947.
The first squadrons to use Swannington were no 85 Squadron RAF and no 157 Squadron RAF, which were under the control of no 100 Group RAF and flew De Havilland Mosquitoes. These squadrons supported bombing operations as part of RAF Bomber Command.
157 Squadron disbanded in August 1945 and the airfield was passed over to RAF Maintenance Command. Swannington was the headquarters for no 274 Maintenance Unit RAF and had hundreds of mothballed Mosquitoes of all versions, plus brand new Rolls-Royce Merlin engines. Between 1946 and 1947 the role of the site was to service and carry out important modifications to aircraft before they were flown out for in-depth service.
In November 2017 a special Remembrance Service was held at St. Peter’s Church to commemorate those who served at RAF Swannington. An Avenue of Remembrance was planted, with a tree dedicated to each of the RAF squadrons whose members served here. Please use the links below to find out more.